Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Are You the Church?

Yesterday we started talking about the idea of being the church rather than going to church. I know some of you are reading this and saying, "Oh this is just a play on words." Please go deeper than this and notice the deep theological statement that a five year old boy made.

Let's face it most believers think that their responsibility to fulfill the Great Commission is to pass out a flyer about an event at the church, invite someone to attend a church service, or pass a tract to a waitress. This idea of evangelism is void of depth and relationship, but it is very convenient for the busy believer. Why is it that most church members think it is the paid staff responsibility to visit the sick and witness to the lost? May I suggest something that you may not like. We as church leaders have set it up this way!

In an effort to feed our egos and self-worth we need the church to need us. We like it when our members say things like: "Oh, I don't know what I would do without you; You are the greatest pastor; and I am so glad you were there for me" Before we can teach people to be the church we must ween ourselves from defining ourselves by a church building or programs or being busy.

Sorry about that tangent, but as leaders of a church we must equip people to be the church. We must be intentional about making disciples that are more than our groupies, but can go out and make other disciples. Am I willing to invest into people that will leave me to accomplish what God has in store for them? Am I willing to invest into people who may never attend a service at The Journey? Am I willing to lay aside programs for the opportunity to build relationships? If I am not, then I can make my disciples; but not necessarily disciples of Jesus. Disciples of Jesus do not go to church, but are the church.

No comments: