Monday, July 21, 2008

Do You Go To Church?

The past several days I have had the greatest opportunity to visit with Real Life Ministries, a church built on relationships in Post Falls, Idaho. If you are a church planter and want to do more than just talk about building relationships but want to see it in action - then get yourself to Real Life Ministries. It was the best conference I have ever attended in 15 years of ministry!

There was so much I came away with that I could post for the next year. But I want to focus this week on one question. Darren, one of our small group leaders, told the story about a conversation his two boys had on the way to church. The question was asked while in the car when the family was going somewhere where they were going. The older son responded by saying, "We are going to church". The younger son (5years old) asked a serious question to that, "How can we go to church when we are the church?"

This question has rocked my world! "How can we go to church when we are the church?" Honestly as a church planter I have gotten off focus from my vision to equip people because I need a service, program, etc. to draw people in. I don't want to build a church for people to attend, I want to equip people to go be the church in their workplaces, homes, neighborhoods, schools, etc. If I am just trying to get people in, then what good does that do besides making me look like a sucess in the eyes of others.

I won't go to far with this today, because we will work it through the week. So for today what does this question mean to you - "How can we go to church when we are the church?"

No comments: