Friday, January 18, 2008

To Serve or Be Served?


All right, I am dealing with the idea of success. Remember my definition is - am I being obedient to the will of God, even in the small (to me) areas of my life. This mornings My Utmost for His Highest speaks to the idea of success as well. Oswald says:

Jesus said to her, ’Give Me a drink’ " (John 4:7). How many of us are expecting Jesus Christ to quench our thirst when we should be satisfying Him! We should be pouring out our lives, investing our total beings, not drawing on Him to satisfy us. "You shall be witnesses to Me . . ."

Chambers goes on to say:

The greatest competitor of true devotion to Jesus is the service we do for Him. It is easier to serve than to pour out our lives completely for Him. The goal of the call of God is His satisfaction, not simply that we should do something for Him.

Success is not just knowing God's will, but doing God's will. But even in the doing am I serving to make me happy or God? This puts a new perspective on the many programs of the church. Are we busy to satisfy Christ, or our calendars. Wow! We will definitely continue with this next week.

Sunday evening we will be casting the vision of The Journey at Rocky Creek Baptist on Woodruff Rd. Thank God for a church that is not afraid of loosing members to a church plant, but encourages members to be part of a new work. I also am so grateful for Ken Forrester (pastor of Rocky Creek). His definition of success is not how many people are coming, but how many are going and impacting the world for Christ. We need more pastors like him. It is a privilege to call him my friend.

No comments: