Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Change in Life

I have heard it said many times that a person will not change until they hurt bad enough to change. It is interesting that I am currently living out this statement. From my last post you know that my MS is progressing and my cholesterol is high. I thought is was dangerously high, but as I talk with other, maybe I am not so bad off. Anyway, to my point - I guess the fear of having a heart attack has encouraged me to make major lifestyle adjustments, starting with my diet.

Now, I have not been a terrible eater - but I do like the fried stuff, cheese, candy, sweets (ok maybe I am not a good eater as I look at this list). But I have gone almost a week with no sugar, caffeine, white rice, potatoes, flour, anything white. I have cut out fried foods, no red meat, and even cracked down on eating gluten. I have replaced my choices with fresh salads, vegetables, fruits, oatmeal (every morning), fish, and anything that has a bland taste. You can say that I hurt bad enough to make a change.

So let's apply this to my spiritual life. Do I really hurt bad enough to make a change. I am not talking about the consequences of poor decisions, but the realization that my sin sent Jesus to the cross. Do I hurt bad enough that every time I act in anger, become judgemental, or promote selfeshness, it is like slapping Jesus in the face?

We have too many people trying to live by a list of things to do to please God. I don't think God is pleased with our list, He is pleased with an obedient heart. We can never be obedient unless we hurt bad enough over our sin to let God take control.

So are you hurting today?

No comments: