Monday, November 17, 2008

Why I Did Not Attend Church Sunday

Wednesday night The Journey had a celebration service. We decided to have our "Sunday morning worship" on Wednesday nights. The reason why is simple: we want to be able to build relationships with people that do not attend church. When is the best time? Sunday.

So there I sat Sunday morning wondering if I needed to find a church to attend. I mean, don't all good Christians attend church on Sundays? I am not mad at the church, so why would I stay at home? It is amazing the guilt I was feeling even having this conversation with myself. After a while it was decided that we would stay at home Sunday morning.

So we spent some time specifically praying for people in the apartment community in which we live, put out signs about the connections event we were having that night, spent some time with our family, and held the event that evening in which we met several new families. It really was a great day!

Today, I wonder why I had such a hard time going against the traditional model of church. I realize that it is because that is all that I know. I also struggle with the fact that others think I am against the church because I see it in a different way. But why do I struggle when I know that I am being obedient to God?

I have to admit that I am still struggling with my feelings and emotions on why I feel it is important to be in my community and actively praying for it on Sundays. I would like to take this week and work through them. So feel free to read my thoughts, but remember I am still working through them and should be read as such. Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a partner with the Journey and I know exactly how you feel. For so long I was always at church on Sunday morning. It is hard to change what we have done for years. We watched Dr. Wilton in Spartanburg and had a special devotion and went to our group meeting at 4. Sunday is the day we usually think of worshipping God. We should be doing it every day. It was interesting to see so many cars in our neighborhood at home. Even those we thought went to church on Sunday mornings. If it takes change to reach people for Christ, then we need to pray that God will help us change. We are planning on having a drop in to meet our neighbors sometime before Christmas. That will be our connections event. Pray that we can start a group at our home soon.