Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Interdependent Disciple

Growing up I could not wait to grow up and be on my own, living my own life. I craved and sometimes struggled to gain my independence. As a teenager I dreamed of making my own decisions, being my own man, riding through the west on a horse chasing outlaws...Sorry, got a little of my mental movie in there!

Anyway, my point is that everything from television shows to movies and even examples point to being my own person in need of no one. Then I look at the Bible, especially Paul's writings, and find that we as believers are interdependent. We work together as a body to accomplish the will of God.This sheds a little more light on the need for transformation as found in Romans 12:1-2. My dream of being independent can never come true for a disciple of Christ. In fact my dream must change if I am to be a disciple that makes disciples.

Check out this verse: Ephesians 4:28 Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good that he may have something to give him who has need.

Even the thief must be transformed, not to better his life, but that he can live up to the expectations of disciples that live interdependent lives! Did you catch that? The thief is to stop stealing so he will have something for someone else. The thief never thinks about the needs of others, but the disciple of Christ is constantly meeting the needs of others. WoW!!!

So what is our excuse for trying to hide our emotions, struggles, victories and live independent lives? The disciple that lives a independent life is shallow, constantly defeated, and longing for a better way (if he is even a disciple). When will we actually believe the Scripture and live the life that God has in store for us? If God created us to be with and share with one another (and He did), what stops us? Good place to pick up tomorrow.

No comments: