Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Disciplines of the Disciple

So the Olympics are so on my mind. How can they not be, I watch them almost all night! As I watch these great athletes of the world compete I keep thinking about all the hours they have trained for those brief few moments of competition that only comes around every four years. These men and women are to be admired for their discipline.

I know that to be a disciple of Jesus, I too must be disciplined in the fundamentals of prayer, reading the Bible, etc. Haven't we all heard sermons challenging us to get up early and start our day with these disciplines. Here's the deal - I struggle to get up on time, regardless of early. For years I have slept through devotion time and felt so guilty because I could not get up early. It's not that I don't love God or want to spend time with Him, it's just the early thing.

Last week I went to a seminar and learned that God made my uniquely different. As a result, I do not have be like someone else! I need to discover who I am and live as me. So this week I have applied my uniqueness to my disciplines. Instead of getting up early, I have started doing my quiet time at lunch. It is amazing how much easier I find it to be a disciple when I am not trying to put someone else's discipline routine in my life.

I know some of you reading this thinking, what is the big deal. The big deal is that as a disciple of Christ, find the routine that works for you to discipline your life. God created you special, quit adopting everyone else's plan and live yours! It's has been freeing for me, maybe it can be for you!

No comments: