Friday, May 16, 2008

Update on The Journey


We have been in Greenville now for almost five months and just wanted to update you on the progress of The Journey.

We have been casting the vision of the church to anyone who will give us an ear. I spend much of my time at Java Jolt, the clubhouse of the apartments, or anywhere there is a group of people. Since the core value of The Journey is relationships, I need to be actively seeking to build relationships with anyone God brings in my path.

Out of these relationships God is assembling a core group of people that have a desire to plant The Journey. It is funny though, there have been as many people hear the vision, show interest, and then move on through the doors as we currently have attending. Some have discovered The Journey was not their cup of sunshine while others have questioned the values of The Journey and even the focus of the staff. Through it all I have learned to hold people with an open hand. They are not mine, they belong to God. If God desires for them to be part, it will happen; if not, why should I fret about it.

The Journey is meeting on Sunday evenings in a home provided by a fantastic family. We are studying Scripture together to help us be the people God wants of us in a confusing world. This summer our desire is to have one Sunday morning service a month. We still don't know where yet, but are actively praying and seeking.

By the end of the summer our prayer is that we are meeting monthly in worship and in LIFE groups in homes all around the city. As I write this I wonder what things will really look like when the end of summer hits. So far, things are turning out different than my mental movie of The Journey. But that is OK because I want to be on God's plan not mine!

God has been so faithful to us in every way possible. Although this is the hardest thing our family has even been a part of physically, emotionally, and spiritually it is where we need to be.

No comments: