Saturday, May 10, 2008

Back to Eutawville




Well, it is Saturday afternoon and we are planning out return visit to Eutawville. The man I had been asking you to pray for passed away early this morning. As I sit here thinking about the life of Austin Shockley (Shock) I find myself laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time.


When I think of Shock, I just think of the perfect man. For those of you familiar with Ward Cleaver on the television show from many years ago Leave It To Beaver, that is who I think about when I think of Shock. The familiarity is not necessarily in looks, but with the image of a perfect dad, husband, mentor, and friend. Now I know there is none perfect, but I think Shock got as close as a man can get.

As a husband, I always saw teamwork and love between he and his wife Jane. As a father of two girls I never heard but kind words coming from the daughters. Now they will be quick to tell you that their father would discipline, but it was always associated with love.

As a mentor to me - well, let me just say this: Shock was always there offering support, encouragement, and not telling me how to live Christ but showing it. As we moved from Eutawville many people said that they would call us, support us, etc. Most fell short of their promises. Not Shock! The calls came continually, the financial and prayer support was constant, and the love never lacked. That's a mentor and a man of his word!

To be honest, it hurts me to know that Shock will not be on the other end of the phone when I call. It saddens me to know the valley his family is walking. And sometimes I wonder why God takes great men out of the world, especially when I know some that need to be taken off the earth. I know all the answers, so don't think I am losing my faith, but death stinks!!

Through it all we will walk forward because God is faithful. Please pray for Shock's family as they move through the coming days. By the way, I have wondered who will take Shock's place in my life. The answer is that God gave me Shock for a season of time, now I must go and be Shock to someone else in need.

Don't know when I will get to post again, until then is there someone in your life who needs a Shock?

No comments: