Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Trip to the State House


I have been volunteering with the MS Society trying to build a network of relationships. My thought is why not build relationships with people with which I have something in common. Anyway, my MS network led me to the capital building in Columbia for a breakfast at 8am with legislators. Met some Senators and Representatives and passed along our information about MS.


After the breakfast I visited with David Thomas, Senator from Greenville. As we were discussing MS I thought about his position. What must it be like to be in a place where almost everyone who met with you wanted something from you? And trust me, today a lot of people wanted to meet with him. He only had five minutes to spend with me because of the line of people outside of his door. I walked (or rather rolled) away from his office with a greater commitment to pray for him.


After this meeting I went to the State House and requested Bruce Bannister, my districts representative, to come out of session to meet with me. Sounds like I am arrogant, but apparently this is what you do. The lobby had about 100 other people doing the same. When Rep. Bannister came out, I just thanked him for representing me and did not ask him for anything. Guess I would not make a good lobbyist.


Anyway, it has been an exciting morning. I find myself a little more interested in the political process.

No comments: