Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Am In A Battle

I was studying in Matthew 16 where Jesus tells Peter that the gates of hell would not prevail against the church, and I had one of those thoughts. Here is the thought, you might not find it interesting, but oh well - the thought is that we as disciples of Christ are supposed to be in a battle. I mean, if the gates of hell will not prevail then it is understood that I am made for a battle.

According to Paul this battle is not against flesh and blood, but against a spiritual host of wickedness in the heavenly places. If I do not battle against the devil, then who do I battle since it is understood that disciples battle. Do you get my point? If I do not battle the proper adversary (spiritual wickedness) then I battle people because I am made for a battle.

I can see in my life that when I am not battling wickedness, then I can become cynical of others and their actions. Here's the deal - I cannot battle a person and build a relationship with them at the same time. If I am not willing to build a relationship with them, then how can I love them. If I do not love them, then why would I care about their eternal destiny?

How many times have I missed it because I was not in the proper battle. I must battle, but not people - I must be actively battling the devil and the gates of hell will not prevail.

No comments: