Friday, January 11, 2008

Who Am I?


I ended yesterday's blog by stating that success is not what I do, but what I am. This has made me think about who I really am. I am not talking about the way others perceive me, but who I am, the guy that only I know about. I hope I am a person that is obedient to God. Sometimes this obedience will cost me and others, but will I stay faithful to His plan? Today Oswald Chambers said this about obedience:


If we obey God, it is going to cost other people more than it costs us, and that is where the pain begins. If we are in love with our Lord, obedience does not cost us anything— it is a delight. But to those who do not love Him, our obedience does cost a great deal. If we obey God, it will mean that other people’s plans are upset. They will ridicule us as if to say, "You call this Christianity?" We could prevent the suffering, but not if we are obedient to God. We must let the cost be paid.


I know that I cannot remain obedient to God by waiving a magic wand and hoping it happens. Being obedient (even in my most secret places in life) is hard work. There are a few things that I am going to do to assist in this process:


1. Daily time with God. I have set myself up on a schedule of reading the Bible and praying daily

2. Read one book a month that does not deal with church planting, but deals with character issues (I would gladly take recommendations here)

3. Continue in the coaching process

4. Begin one relationship that I bear my inward being (some call it accountability)

5. Ask my wife to critique my life (and accept whatever she has to say)


With The Journey: we are meeting with people who have shown interest in the church plant Sat. night. There are 16 adults and 12 children. The amazing thing is that with the exception of a couple I have not directly asked these people to be involved. God has placed a desire in their hearts to seek something new and they have contacted me. I am looking forward to the meeting.


The above picture has nothing to do with this post, I just thought it was good.

No comments: