Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Names of God - Week 2


Then she [Hagar] called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, You are the God who sees; for she said, Have I also here seen Him who sees me?

Genesis 16:13


Here is the only time we find the name for God, El Roi ,which means the God who sees me. Hagar was in a desperate place in her life. She had obeyed her master Sarai and had become pregnant. Sarai could not live with Hagar around so she made life so hard on Hagar that she fled. Hagar soon found herself in a desperate situation not knowing what to do. It was then that the Lord spoke to her and told her that she would have a son named Ismael and she needed to return home. Hagar responds with El Roi - the God who sees me.


God is omnipresent which means he is everywhere at one time. I had always thought about this in terms that God is everywhere on the earth. Lately I have realized that God is not subject to the laws of space or time. In other words, God who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow is actually in yesterday, today, and tomorrow. What a thought to realize that God is looking at my past at the same time as my future. When I truly believe this aspect of God it will help me understand that God is concerned for me and is planning the journey of life for me.


The story moves on and I will continue with this thought tomorrow.


On a lighter side - My wife and I have been on a diet for the past couple of months. On the diet we are to drink 8 ounces of water everyday. Why is it that when I drink 8 ounces of water, my body produces 5 gallons? Anyway, I guess it is working as I have lost 20 pounds and have become a fine specimen of a human being (or at least that is what I think)

No comments: