Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who I Would Like To Be Like

A question we all ask ourselves at times is who do we want to be like. I know the spiritual answer is that I want to be like Jesus. But I believe God places people in our lives that encourage us to strive for more in life by being like them in some way.

God has placed some tremendous people in my life. Sometimes I wonder why I am so lucky to have the friends and mentors that I have investing into my life. One of these couples is Matt and Alicia who live Eutawville. I met this family shortly before moving to Greenville. We do not have much of a history together, but they have called me four times in six the weeks we have lived here just to check on us.

Matt called this week and wanted to know what he could do to support our family. He told me that he wanted to give money to support our ministry and needed to know how. As we talked I found out that six people that work with Matt have been laid off because of the lack of business for the company. I like to think I would be willing to help, but would I be giving money away to others when my job was in jeapordy, or woul I be saving for the rainy day?

I am humbled to realize that Matt and Alicia are willing to give to others above their own needs. Now that is the kind of person I want to be like. Someone who just doesn't talk about helping others, but one who makes the phone calls just to say hello and follows up their words with action.

You will probably never read about Matt and Alicia in the history books, but they have impacted me to live a better life - a life a service to God and others. Thank you Matt and Alicia!

No comments: