Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Praying the Names of God - week 1


Since I am using this blog to help me be accountable to my commitments with God and others, I am going to use Wednesdays to post on my devotional life. I have just begun the book Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler. This week focuses on the Hebrew word Elohim.

Elohim means God, Mighty Creator. It is the word used for God in Genesis 1:1. "When we pray to Elohim, we remember that he is the one who began it all... This ancient name for God contains the idea of God's creative power as well as his authority and sovereignty." Elohim is used 2,500 times to emphasize the majesty of the one true God.

As I have been learning about Elohim the creator, my mind also goes to the fact that God sustains what He has created. Far too many times I forget this when I begin to fret about my life. Our house is showing this morning at 10:00. Last night I kept reminding God that someone was coming to look at the house (as if He needed reminding). As I focus on Elohim this morning, a peace comes over me knowing that God is in control of his creation (me). He loves my family more than I can, and He will provide. May I learn to focus on Elohim and not my circumstances.

No comments: