Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why I Did Not Attend Church Sunday Part III


I was reading in John 1 this morning and noticed this self description of John: "I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness; Make straight the way of the Lord." I thought to myself, "self, shouldn't that be a description of me? And as far as that goes, shouldn't it be a description of all believers?"

Christ did not die on a cross for me to sit on a pew, or plan events for people to sit on a pew. Where did we ever get the idea that Christianity is about attending a church building? Why do people allow ministers to plan their spiritual lives - what they need to study to grow in Christ, what events they need to bring people to, who to have fellowship with, etc. What happened to people simply obeying the Holy Spirit and being the voice of one crying out in wilderness?

I, for so many years had become content with the church planning every religious event for my life and then complaining because I was so tired. I am to be the voice of one crying in the wilderness (by the way look at people around you and you will see the wilderness). I am to tell them to get ready for the coming of the Lord, not simply give them a flyer about a church event.
I am to make a difference in the lives of those around me, not simply provide ministry for them. I am to go and be the church, not expect people to come to my church.

I stated yesterday that for many years I have heard that the majority of churches are plateaued or declining. We can continue in our religious events and watch the established church crumble Notice I said established church, I do not believe the Church Jesus established will ever crumble - but maybe His church looks a whole lot different than the way we see church!

So I did not attend church Sunday (see previous posts) because I am attempting to be the church. I am going to be the voice of one crying out in the wilderness for people to get ready for the coming of the Lord. This may take me on a different path than others, but then again didn't it take John this way as well?

No comments: